News / Put a bow on it with a trip to Kansas City's West Bottoms
First Friday Weekend's Bows in the Bottoms, December 2 – 4, and Fridays and Saturdays through December 17
The Grinch and Cindy Lou Who, Santa, Mrs. Claus, and the elves are making their way to the West Bottoms tree lighting to kick off holiday weekends in the Historic West Bottoms Friday, December 2, at 5:30 pm. Mrs. Claus will share hot cocoa and cookies to spread the Christmas cheer and dancers will perform. The weekend Bows in the Bottoms events include First Friday Weekend, December 2-4 for all stores, and each Friday and Saturday through December 17 for many of the stores that plan to be open.
In addition to the holiday weekends in December, most stores will also be open on Small Business Saturday, November 26.
The West Bottoms hearkened to the holidays from the 1930s on the historic streets when Christmas lights began to be commonly displayed on the towering buildings and a 3-story Christmas tree at 13th and Hickory. The tree lighting will have holiday music, and artificial snow will "put a bow" on the magic of the festivities. The district is known for its stylishly displayed vintage and antiques. Many stores work with designers to create a beautiful presentation of products that helps customers make the look in their homes or find upcycled antiques that serve a new purpose. Shops also have new furnishings, clothing, trinkets, candles, and more.
Many shoppers make a day checking out more than 30 stores, starting with coffee, then a toast of cheer at the pop-up street bars and lunch. Options include:
- Java Garage – coffee, various hot and cold drinks, and homemade treats
- Chef J's BBQ – award winning
- Evola's Italian deli at Good JuJu
- The Painted Rooster Restaurant on Bella Patina's third floor and "Phase 2" Coffee Cart.
- West Bottoms Food Truck Wine and Dine options - food truck options that line Hickory Street
- Festival of the Full Moon Street Bars
- Wine sampling: Robin's Nest, Treasures on 13th, and Serendipity KC
Strolling block to block and enjoying the moment to let the spirit of this historic district make lasting memories.
DECEMBER BOWS in the BOTTOMS WEEKEND PLANNER
- Small Business Saturday – November 26, many stores plan to be open. Check store Facebook pages for details
- West Bottoms' First Friday Weekend Shopping – Festival of the Full Moon Weekends' theme is Bows in the Bottoms December 2-4. Open Friday through Sunday – Most shops open on Fri/Sat at 9 am, close around 6 pm, and Sunday from 11 am to 4. Admission is free. Refer to individual store Facebook pages for specific store openings. The Full Moon Street Bar will be open for the tree lighting and the First Friday Weekend
- Holiday Street Cast Appearance Schedule – Grinch, Cindy Lou Who, Santa, Mrs. Claus, elves all present for tree lighting. Other times on a rotating schedule
ο 12/2 noon-6:30 pm
ο 12/3 11-4 pm
ο 12/9 11-3 pm
ο 12/10 11-4 pm
ο 12/16 11-3 pm
ο 12/17 11-4 pm
- Tree Lighting – at 5:30 pm, Friday, December 2 at Hickory and 13th. Snow will fall, and the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who, Santa, Mrs. Claus, and the elves will be on hand for photos. Dancers from Donna's Dance Academy of Belton will also perform and music will also top off the festivities. Hot cocoa and treats will be available for the lighting
- West Bottoms Weekend Shopping in December – Many stores plan to be open on Friday and Saturday through December 17. Check individual store Facebook pages for specific store openings
- Food Truck Wine & Dine – along Hickory between 13th and 12th
- Full Moon Escape – the Escape Games have slots available for groups under 11 to test their wits and solve puzzles to find their way out of locked rooms within 60 minutes. While these games aren't frightening – they do thrill. See the website for open times